Relegation/Promotion

12 replies to this topic

#1 cbferg14

cbferg14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:04 PM

I was thinking we need relegation with the NASL. That would allow more derbies and also a reason to play well. On another note, we don't need playoffs.

#2 CoachJD

CoachJD

• Moderators
  • 513 posts
  • LocationSuwanee

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

Most American investors would be hesitant to invest into a league that their team could drop out of. With the MLS still growing, it is actually a bad idea right now. The MLS is trying to appeal to an American audience that is not used to the idea of relegation and wants a playoff. 

Also, NASL wants to compete with MLS, not be considered a league below them. This would require both leagues to join under one umbrella corporation and right now that is not happening. 

And if MLS relegated to NASL, then you might as well as include USL to tier 3...

If this ever happens, it is a long way down the road...  

logo-boards.png

#3 CAllen91

CAllen91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationValdosta

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:06 AM

No. It will never happen with the structure of America Sports Leagues. Mr. Blank just wrote a check for $80 million. There is no way an investor would pay that sort of money and allow the chance for their franchise to drop out of the top tier. Just that simple. Plus I'm selfish and don't want to see my team in a crap league. =)

#4 LawrenceVillain

LawrenceVillain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:41 AM

The only way relegation is ever going to happen is if NASL or USL strokes a check for about $200 million to each MLS owner. As has been said before, not going to happen.

#5 jacksonp

jacksonp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationStatesboro

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:29 AM

The differences are too large between MLS and the other leagues. Also I like the playoff system more because it always makes for an exiting finish.

Hail Southern

Hail United

#6 LawrenceVillain

LawrenceVillain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:08 AM

http://www.mlssoccer...ent-pursue-seco

USL pursuing 2nd division status while being backed by the MLS... R.I.P. NASL. USL has more teams and stronger backing.
  • candyman132 likes this

#7 cbferg14

cbferg14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:20 PM

I accidentally asked this anonymously, but seriously, what do y'all think about promotion and relegation in MLS and NASL specifically and maybe even including the USL?

#8 brozil

brozil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

Will most likely never happen in amerian football I mean soccer

#9 cryates

cryates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationRossville, GA

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

Promotion/Relegation is not a good idea in America, yet. Maybe decades down the road but the sport would have to be a leader in the country, especially financially. I couldn't imagine the Silverbacks being in the highest tier of a professional sports league, in a country that hasn't fully bought into the sport yet.

I have a strong belief that soccer will become on our countries leading sports over the course of several years, especially with the impending rise of the USNT and the exposure at the youth level. It's going to take a long time, and continual growth though. 

#10 Chubbsdgc

Chubbsdgc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:55 PM

Pro/Rel has no place in America. Cant see it ever being an option. 

#11 JoshuaFC

JoshuaFC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:06 AM

I believe conferences and playoffs are more relatable to Americans who watch other American sports but are interested in watching soccer. Reason why college football just added a final four playoff. Besides now, not only can you cheer for your own team, but you have a part of the U.S. you are affiliated with. Kind of like how SEC, ACC, BIg Ten, etc, all brag about what conference is better we can argue the East is more dominant than the West or vice versa.

Romans 1:16

ATL Falcons, Hawks, Braves, and United

Troy University

#12 neville

neville

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

If it does ever happen, which I don't see anytime soon, is it possible it could happen all under the umbrella of MLS. What I mean is people sort of assume teams would move down to NASL or USL but what if there was sort of a 2 tiered set up in MLS. If they expand to something like 30 teams could they then have 2 division set up but the bottom of the 2nd division cannot get relegated any lower, teams just move between the 2 divisions. I still don't see the owners going for it.

#13 Collin

Collin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

If it does ever happen, which I don't see anytime soon, is it possible it could happen all under the umbrella of MLS. What I mean is people sort of assume teams would move down to NASL or USL but what if there was sort of a 2 tiered set up in MLS. If they expand to something like 30 teams could they then have 2 division set up but the bottom of the 2nd division cannot get relegated any lower, teams just move between the 2 divisions. I still don't see the owners going for it.

This is what I would think would happen for us to have a system like that in place.

MLS could potentially acquire teams from the lower divisions who are looking to move up under the MLS Umbrella and they could setup a 2nd tier with an MLS pro/rel system in place.

The first tier competes for the MLS cup and the 2nd tier competes in a separate championship in an effort to move up.   First tier will get money from the TV deals and more incentives to stay up, 2nd tier will have the support of MLS to keep the clubs in operation etc.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users