118 replies to this topic

#61 neville

neville

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:13 AM

Even though I was born and raised in the south I have never really understood the nostalgia people here have for the Civil War. That said, I really like that idea.
  • FishingBasket, AndreDug, Groverfrerm and 7 others like this

#62 FishingBasket

FishingBasket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGrant Park

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:00 PM

Even though I was born and raised in the south I have never really understood the nostalgia people here have for the Civil War. That said, I really like that idea.

Hey Neville, thanks for the comment. I honestly hadn't thought about this practice being specifically related to the Civil War. While it was a historic event during that time period, my thoughts were on the deeper, resilient attitude of our city and her people. I can look across our skyline at sunset and marvel at what came out of the literal ashes. And whether it's a man who started Home Depot after getting fired or a refugee woman working hard to make a better life for her family, I think the attitude of not letting defeat conquer you runs through Atlanta and across its citizens regardless of country, race, or religion.

Commemorating the Civil War might be exclusive and cause division. Commemorating the idea of rebirth and starting anew is something to which everyone can identify. I imagine a supporter section made up of people from every continent standing together with arms around shoulders for the Minute 64 of Silence.

On a grander scale, I believe our MLS team as an organization has an opportunity to build common ground across a very diverse and sometimes segmented city. One thing I love about sports is the manner in which it brings people together. I can't tell you how many strangers I've hugged / spilled beer on after an extra inning win at a Braves game. And while I love baseball, I must admit its mostly an American sport. Football, soccer, fußball, the beautiful game, etc... on the other hand is global, meaning the breadth and depth of our fan base could be enormous. Bringing together a massive and diverse group of people for one common goal (no pun intended) could be truly awesome and exciting.

• jacksonp likes this

#63 UScasual38

UScasual38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

I have an idea on which I would like to hear some thoughts: Have the entire stadium remain silent for the 64th minute of every match. And then, of course, go crazy for the remaining 24.

Background:

1. Well placed silence can be louder than noise.
- Check out Taylor University's annual "Silent Night Game" - http://espn.go.com/b...ition-continues

2. 1864 - The Fall of Atlanta & The Beginning of its Rebirth
- Call me sentimental or a history guy, but I like the thought of remembering the bad and commemorating the good. Along with our new team playing inside our new stadium, engraining our history would surely make a statement about who we are as Atlantans. We may get knocked down, but we will rise.

Here is what I picture... 75,000 crazy football/soccer fans supporting our boys in red, black, and gold for the first time in our new, kick ass stadium. The second half begins and the crowd goes crazy with screams, applause, and awesome Atlanta chants. When the clock strikes 64:00, the entire stadium falls completely silent. The only sounds come from the ball being kicked and the players' grunts. The silence is almost deafening as hearts pound and tensions and anticipation rise. 64:55... 64:56... 64:57... 64:58... 64:59... 65:00 BOOM! The stadium erupts in a cacophony of screams, yells, and cheers. The thundering roar of the crowd startles the opponents and bolsters our boys for the next 25 minutes and on to victory.

What do y'all think?

In theory it sounds really cool. Of course putting that in the practice would be next to impossible since itd be in the middle of the game. It'd be one thing to have people silent at the beginning of a half then go nuts, but to just suddenly stop would be difficult to pull off.
That said, I think it's a cool idea

GATA

Bury me in red and gold.

#64 neville

neville

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:11 AM

That is a good point but I am optimistic that it is doable. Just have to get the main supporters behind it and get the word out well in advance of the game. Also, I'm glad to see a fellow Eagle alum on here.
  • UScasual38 likes this

#65 UScasual38

UScasual38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:40 AM

That is a good point but I am optimistic that it is doable. Just have to get the main supporters behind it and get the word out well in advance of the game. Also, I'm glad to see a fellow Eagle alum on here.

Yea come on! Hail southern!

GATA

Bury me in red and gold.

#66 brozil

brozil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:03 PM

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!

Clap clap clap clap

#67 JBAustin

JBAustin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:31 PM

Clap clap clap clap

I'll politely disagree.  That carries a lot of weight/connotations that so just isn't worth dealing with.

#68 FishingBasket

FishingBasket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGrant Park

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

Clap clap clap clap

I'll politely disagree.  That carries a lot of weight/connotations that so just isn't worth dealing with.

I agree with JBAustin on this note. My hope is that our chants will be uniting not dividing.

#69 brozil

brozil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

I guess I won't be bringing my rebel flag to the games then. :/ 

#70 Tharian

Tharian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:37 PM

I have an idea on which I would like to hear some thoughts: Have the entire stadium remain silent for the 64th minute of every match. And then, of course, go crazy for the remaining 24.

Background:

- Check out Taylor University's annual "Silent Night Game" - http://espn.go.com/b...ition-continues

- Call me sentimental or a history guy, but I like the thought of remembering the bad and commemorating the good. Along with our new team playing inside our new stadium, engraining our history would surely make a statement about who we are as Atlantans. We may get knocked down, but we will rise.

Here is what I picture... 75,000 crazy football/soccer fans supporting our boys in red, black, and gold for the first time in our new, kick ass stadium. The second half begins and the crowd goes crazy with screams, applause, and awesome Atlanta chants. When the clock strikes 64:00, the entire stadium falls completely silent. The only sounds come from the ball being kicked and the players' grunts. The silence is almost deafening as hearts pound and tensions and anticipation rise. 64:55... 64:56... 64:57... 64:58... 64:59... 65:00 BOOM! The stadium erupts in a cacophony of screams, yells, and cheers. The thundering roar of the crowd startles the opponents and bolsters our boys for the next 25 minutes and on to victory.

What do y'all think?

This is why I like the name of Atlanta 64 or 1864 Atlanta.  With the phoenix as a symbol it works and is unique in the US

• FishingBasket likes this

#71 jacksonp

jacksonp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationStatesboro

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

Do we still get to cheer if a goal is scored in the 64th minute?

Hail Southern

Hail United

#72 FishingBasket

FishingBasket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGrant Park

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

Do we still get to cheer if a goal is scored in the 64th minute?

Didn't think of that. Good question. I would assume we would cheer, and it would be freaking epic!

#73 neville

neville

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:54 AM

That it would be. Quiet calm to berserk cheering. I'm getting chills just thinking about it.

#74 SouthernSoccer

SouthernSoccer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:45 PM

Background:

- Check out Taylor University's annual "Silent Night Game" - http://espn.go.com/b...ition-continues

What do y'all think?

Here's my two cents on the whole issue of the embracing the regional aspect of the team.

This team is going to more likely than not be the "Team of Dixie" in the same way that the Atlanta Braves are in MLB. We can't forget that. Our region is probably the most prideful about that, even more-so than Cascadia and New England. I think we all know that, at least if you have stepped foot outside of the ATL area at least once in your life. That is a great thing to me. I love the region, I was born and raised in Dixie. People here who are more inclined to be a bit more "let's not tread on any toes and be kind of vanilla when it comes to support" aren't wrong at all. The South has some bad parts of it's history, just like Germany does. Being a dual citizen of the US and Germany because of my parents immigrating here, I get how it affected that nation. They were required to sit down and shut up. And so has Dixie. And you know what? For a while, it was deserved until we moved on from certain parts of our culture, and thank goodness we did.

But just like Germany during the 2006 World Cup, there needs to be a rebirth of outward pride in who we are as Southerners now. We stand for Southern Hospitality, we stand for some of the best damn food in the nation. We stand for the birth of nearly EVERY musical genre created in the US. Rock, jazz, blues, rap, American folk, you name it, that was DIXIE. We get to be proud of who we are now. We get to say that the South is the best damn land in the nation and say that with every fiber of our being believing in it. And we need to show that. We can't sit back and not be the Team of the South/Dixie. It needs to be on a damn banner. ESPECIALLY when it comes to the banter. We want to be quiet and avoid issues of the Civil War, but guess what? The rest of MLS isn't. Hell, Columbus already referenced it on the damn day we got the 22nd team. We can't stay quiet about who we are. This isn't Atlanta's team. This is the South's team. This is Dixie's team. And we need to embrace the hell out of it.  

#75 brozil

brozil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 05:44 PM

Here's my two cents on the whole issue of the embracing the regional aspect of the team.

This team is going to more likely than not be the "Team of Dixie" in the same way that the Atlanta Braves are in MLB. We can't forget that. Our region is probably the most prideful about that, even more-so than Cascadia and New England. I think we all know that, at least if you have stepped foot outside of the ATL area at least once in your life. That is a great thing to me. I love the region, I was born and raised in Dixie. People here who are more inclined to be a bit more "let's not tread on any toes and be kind of vanilla when it comes to support" aren't wrong at all. The South has some bad parts of it's history, just like Germany does. Being a dual citizen of the US and Germany because of my parents immigrating here, I get how it affected that nation. They were required to sit down and shut up. And so has Dixie. And you know what? For a while, it was deserved until we moved on from certain parts of our culture, and thank goodness we did.

But just like Germany during the 2006 World Cup, there needs to be a rebirth of outward pride in who we are as Southerners now. We stand for Southern Hospitality, we stand for some of the best damn food in the nation. We stand for the birth of nearly EVERY musical genre created in the US. Rock, jazz, blues, rap, American folk, you name it, that was DIXIE. We get to be proud of who we are now. We get to say that the South is the best damn land in the nation and say that with every fiber of our being believing in it. And we need to show that. We can't sit back and not be the Team of the South/Dixie. It needs to be on a damn banner. ESPECIALLY when it comes to the banter. We want to be quiet and avoid issues of the Civil War, but guess what? The rest of MLS isn't. Hell, Columbus already referenced it on the damn day we got the 22nd team. We can't stay quiet about who we are. This isn't Atlanta's team. This is the South's team. This is Dixie's team. And we need to embrace the hell out of it.  

Woah man sorry that's racist, nope. Can't have any of that around here. 

#76 sorrydpain

sorrydpain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 01:06 AM

i say we wait till we actually get our name

#77 SouthernSoccer

SouthernSoccer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:18 PM

Woah man sorry that's racist, nope. Can't have any of that around here. 

I'm gonna assume you're being sarcastic and laugh.

Harharhar

#78 mr.r.villarreal@gmail.com

mr.r.villarreal@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:52 AM

The famous Ludacris “welcome to Atlanta” song, 

Welcome to Atlanta Where our players play!
and they are scoring goals every other day
real quick to drive out our composition away 
Atlanta FC (or team name) is here to stay!! 

Also, taking under consideration that Liverpool have  the “never walk alone” song as a chant, I really like the idea of us singing "Georgia On My Mind” by Ray Charles as a Chant song. 

#79 SouthernSoccer

SouthernSoccer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

The famous Ludacris “welcome to Atlanta” song, 

Welcome to Atlanta Where our players play!
and they are scoring goals every other day
real quick to drive out our composition away 
Atlanta FC (or team name) is here to stay!! 

Also, taking under consideration that Liverpool have  the “never walk alone” song as a chant, I really like the idea of us singing "Georgia On My Mind” by Ray Charles as a Chant song. 

Oh god, can we not all try and rap? That's a quick way to get made fun of. Especially in Atlanta.

#80 JMallam97

JMallam97

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:24 PM

Background:

What do y'all think?

That's something new in the table In the terms of chants. :)

I think we should sing "Georgia on my mind" at the start of every match like Liverpool sing You'll never walk alone.

Agreed.

• cbferg14 likes this

- Jonathan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users