Tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationChatsworth, GA

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

Here are a few thoughts I had from last night in no particular order:

1. If the city of Atlanta doesn't do something about our transportation system, Uncle Arthur needs to step in and get to work on it. If getting to the match last night was anything like it will be in 2017 I won't be the only one that thinks twice about making the effort v. watching on the boob tube at home.

2. To win matches at this level, it takes a great passing game. You can't have a great passing game when players are changed around every match during tournament play. If Klinsmann keeps it up, he needs to be changed out. Others have been for less.

3. Stoppage time: it is inconceivable to me that we couldn't see a time clock after regulation.

4. At the start of the second game I instinctively felt in my pocket to see if I had my passport.

5. Halfway through the first half of the second game I had visions of ATL UTD acquiring 1 or 2 star Mexican players and having an awesome turnout and spirit from our huge hispanic community; it was really electrifying (the "Puto" jeering notwithstanding--can do without that now that we all know what it means).

6. 3 seconds after Panama scored its first goal, I completely reversed every thought I had related to #4...and #5.

7. There is something very unnatural about playing the beautiful game under a really big Hefty bag. I'm glad we'll at least have natural light in the new stadium.

8. Beer should continue to be served until stoppage time.  You never know when a referee has been payed a little something extra.

#2 locofooty

locofooty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBuford, GA

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:33 PM

I don't get #4. You were afraid you were gonna get your passport robbed?

#3 jacksonp

jacksonp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationStatesboro

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

I don't get #4. You were afraid you were gonna get your passport robbed?

He's talking about the amount of non American fans in the stadium.

Hail Southern

Hail United

#4 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationChatsworth, GA

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:51 PM

Felt like a foreigner for sure. It was amazing. Not bad, just unexpected.

#5 locofooty

locofooty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBuford, GA

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:03 PM

lol, soccer!

#6 vinylshrapnel

vinylshrapnel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:08 AM

Nailed it. I was impressed by the passion of the Mexico fans, but got rather annoyed after the third puto chant. I think bringing in a Mexican National player or two would guarantee great attendance among their fan base, but ultimately may be a detriment to the fan experience. The YSA chant has been nearly eliminated in MLS and we don't need it replaced with the puto chant or fans that think nothing of throwing things at the players/pitch when things aren't going their way. 

#7 balooby

balooby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationDecatur, GA

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:50 PM

Nailed it. I was impressed by the passion of the Mexico fans, but got rather annoyed after the third puto chant. I think bringing in a Mexican National player or two would guarantee great attendance among their fan base, but ultimately may be a detriment to the fan experience. The YSA chant has been nearly eliminated in MLS and we don't need it replaced with the puto chant or fans that think nothing of throwing things at the players/pitch when things aren't going their way. 

I don't think that's true at all.  The support the Mexican national team receives in the US is about Mexican expats and Mexican-American's connecting to their origins.  It's not about the players.  Chivas USA and Dallas have tried hard to market their franchises to appeal to Mexican crowds and have had little success.  Mexican fans are faithfully connected to the national team and LigaMX teams.  That's where their passion is.  Atlanta United will not be able to buy or recreate that passion, in-fact, they won't be able to come close.

Mexican and US internationals will be marketable for the team, but they aren't going to provide longterm success at the gate or on TV.  It's all about winning and creating your own unique brand.

#8 JBAustin

JBAustin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

3. Stoppage time: it is inconceivable to me that we couldn't see a time clock after regulation.

This is standard the world over.  Same thing at any level in America too.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users