#2 elevenrising

elevenrising

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationHazlehurst, GA

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:15 AM

Sucks big time. Surely this will lower ticket prices?
  • CoachJD likes this

#3 CoachJD

CoachJD

• Moderators
  • 513 posts
  • LocationSuwanee

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:28 AM

Yea this is probably the worst news to come out by the club... This sucks so much...

logo-boards.png

#4 zzbaron

zzbaron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:25 AM

What a joke. How can we be expected to buy season tickets for a situation like this? We have to have two seat drafts? One for the dome and then one for the new stadium? What if there is a second delay? Do we get refunded for paying a premium to attend a match at a world class stadium that never comes to fruition?

#5 elevenrising

elevenrising

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationHazlehurst, GA

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:57 AM

What's everyone's preference? To play road games until June or to play a few games somewhere else like the Dome? I'm leaning towards the former. But it really sucks that our first game won't be at home in the new stadium. Sucks bad.

#6 UScasual38

UScasual38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:21 PM

Now, I know little to nothing about construction, so take this with a grain of salt.. but I'll hold out hope that there's still a chance things finish on time... even if that means landscaping/detailing isn't done. I'd much rather have an ugly (but still safe) stadium and get to have one of our first games at home... or at the very least, in the City of Atlanta, than wait 3 months and have the team go on the road. 

If nothing else I'd argue they need to play in the dome. It's not what we wanted, or what Arthur promised, but I think it's better than watching our team-that we've waited all this time for-play on the road for 3 months... can you imagine what that'd do for the morale of the fans and, more importantly, the players?

No sir, I'd rather deal with the hassle of getting refunds/transferring my seats to their dome-equivalent than watch that crap happen. Orlando is has been playing in essentially a "temp" stadium since they came to MLS. Why can't we start out that way? We do have a home.. and it's ours... it's just not quite done yet...

It sucks though... no doubt about that... 

• CoachJD likes this

GATA

Bury me in red and gold.

#7 Capitalist

Capitalist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationMonroe GA

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

http://www.dirtysout...irst-season-mls

• Capitalist likes this

Capitalist3.png

#8 CoachJD

CoachJD

• Moderators
  • 513 posts
  • LocationSuwanee

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:22 PM

Doug Roberson tweeted this out, and I think it is relevant. "you may want to separate the team from the construction. It's not the team's fault the stadium is being delayed."

Very true statement no matter how mad/annoyed/pissed/upset we as fans are. 

• Capitalist and augoat like this

logo-boards.png

#9 UScasual38

UScasual38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:34 PM

Definitely true that it's not the team's fault. One of the posts/articles I read said they're already working out or considering a contingency plan. Regardless of if its their fault or not, they gotta keep folks happy-which I know they know.

I'd just be very disappointed if they don't use a temp stadium. 3 months on the road is way worse to me than the stadium not being finished. Uncle Arthur needs to bite the bullet and just do it. People wouldn't be THAT stuck on the team being at the Benz game one. We'd have all probably accepted it just the same if there weren't a new stadium being built and the team was just going to use the Dome from the get -go
  • CoachJD likes this

GATA

Bury me in red and gold.

#10 Unitedman

Unitedman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:18 PM

Long time visitor, but first time poster.

This is very disheartening news.  Again, I don't know who gets the "blame" for not having the stadium ready on time, but it merely reinforces the image that Atlanta is not a serious soccer town.  Does anyone think that the City and/or Arthur would not move heaven and earth if this same situation could have affected the Falcons' season?  ATLUTD's second-class citizenship is already being established by all involved.  

That's not to say that the momentum and excitement for this team won't continue, but forcing your fans to sit in, essentially, a "substitute" stadium for three months (during the inaugural season in which a new stadium plan was already in effect) is embarrassing on many levels.  

The team hasn't even hired a coach yet and we are already putting contingency plans into effect on where the games will be held?  Let's hope this is merely a speed bump in what has been, thus far, a very exciting and positive time for soccer in Atlanta.

#11 AtlPA

AtlPA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationDetroit Sub

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

Was it a secret planned delay so the Falcons could have the first home game?

(My inner conspiracy nut at work)

#12 Capitalist

Capitalist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationMonroe GA

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:56 PM

Would create more schedule conflicts...  But I would prefer to wait for new stadium...

• Capitalist likes this

Capitalist3.png

#13 Capitalist

Capitalist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationMonroe GA

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:23 AM

Sounds like Arthur agrees...

http://www.ajc.com/n...soon-unv/np9fG/
  • Capitalist likes this

Capitalist3.png

#14 Capitalist

Capitalist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationMonroe GA

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:30 AM

Interesting thing about the picture in that article... Fans sitting in the 300 level
  • Capitalist likes this

Capitalist3.png

#15 CoachJD

CoachJD

• Moderators
  • 513 posts
  • LocationSuwanee

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

I would rather play at a temporary location than play 3 months of away games to begin any season, but especially a season with a first year team!
  • cbferg14 likes this

logo-boards.png

#16 clambake

clambake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:12 PM

Interesting thing about the picture in that article... Fans sitting in the 300 level

If you mean the upper deck, they aren't. It's behind the banner at the top. You can't see anyone above the Upper Suite level.

#17 elevenrising

elevenrising

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationHazlehurst, GA

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

I think what will eventually happen is that we play the season opener in the Dome. THen we hit the road until June.
  • CoachJD and UScasual38 like this

#18 UScasual38

UScasual38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

I think what will eventually happen is that we play the season opener in the Dome. THen we hit the road until June.

I could live with that. Of course I say this as someone who's still not one of the approx. 30k people doing season tickets so I'm flexible... But opening the season or having a home game close to the start of the season at home would really be more beneficial in the long run so I'm hoping they at least go that route.

But for season ticket folks I can easily see why they wouldn't mind the team waiting until June/whenever to have a home game. Then you're getting what you've invested. I don't think it'd be a huge deal to me, but I get it

GATA

Bury me in red and gold.

#19 elevenrising

elevenrising

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationHazlehurst, GA

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

^Yeah, I really like the idea of waiting until the stadium is ready. THat said, I think a home game to start things off and to celebrate the new team is important. One game in the Dome should do that and satisfy us until things are ready.

#20 CoachJD

CoachJD

• Moderators
  • 513 posts
  • LocationSuwanee

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

^Yeah, I really like the idea of waiting until the stadium is ready. THat said, I think a home game to start things off and to celebrate the new team is important. One game in the Dome should do that and satisfy us until things are ready.

It just wont be the same as kicking things off in a brand new shiny stadium though... 

• jacksonp likes this

logo-boards.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users