Drafts and Transfers

1 reply to this topic

#1 cbferg14

cbferg14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:22 PM

Okay so I may be alone in this but I do not like the draft, it works fine for Football, Basketball, and Baseball, but why don't we just sign players straight out of college/high school/maybe even younger if they are good enough? That is how it is done in most top leagues, so why not here in America? May not be a popular opinion but I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

• SteveH likes this

#2 augoat

augoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationBuckhead

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:06 PM

American sports seem to thrive on the idea of parity and that all teams are playing from an even starting point.  By giving the worst teams first access to the best players through a draft, it helps keep the top teams from straying too far from the pack.  It only does so much, because poorly run teams still tend to make bad decisions.  I do think allowing teams to sign players at will at a younger age certainly improves the prospect of development, but it also leads to the haves further distancing themselves from the have nots.  For a fairly new league like MLS (compared to the older overseas leagues), the draft is probably smarter especially as they are still adding teams.  Imagine if we had to catch the LA Galaxy or one of the other successful founding teams from scratch.  It would take years or decades to catch them.  It still might but at least they can sell the idea that we could be good in short order.

• cbferg14 and SteveH like this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users