13 replies to this topic

#1 CoachJD

CoachJD

• Moderators
  • 513 posts
  • LocationSuwanee

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:01 AM

Match Reaction?

1 late-ish goal and 1 late goal to give up is not a good thing. Lots of positives in the attack though. They need more time to gel it looks like. 

I thought playing out of the back was great, but it needs work. Technically and tactically. 

There were positives and negatives... what did you see? Did you like the atmosphere?

• Kiarathono and Lhomasmaype like this

logo-boards.png

#2 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationChatsworth, GA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:55 AM

I thought they all looked a little heavy in the legs from about the 65th minute. Good chances that we could've finished. Very physical. Wlecome to the MLS.

#3 DockterScrappy

DockterScrappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

The product looked good to me. They did look gassed in that last 20-25 minutes and you could see things starting to turn. Has anyone heard an explanation on the straight Red on Carmona?
I hate to sound like one of those fans but the ref was horrible. I'm just now sinking my teeth into MLS (follow EPL, for he most part) but I've heard the rumors that the refs are consistently bad in this league. If last night was any indication...Geeez.

#4 jrumberger

jrumberger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMableton, GA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

our midfield got outplayed all 2nd half.. i say move almiron to a wing and let's see jones play more!  also our left midfield/attack was non existent

but had a great time nonetheless 

#5 DockterScrappy

DockterScrappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:05 PM

The back line was better than I anticipated them being, from what I'd seen in Pre-Sale. I thought Garza played balls out and Pirez was much better.

#6 Sean13913

Sean13913

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:23 PM

I loved the wide play and building from the back line. There is a lot of potential from the team and I'm very excited to see us progress through the season. That said, there is some areas for improvement. A lot seemed to be that we were out sized, especially in the midfield.

#7 CoachJD

CoachJD

• Moderators
  • 513 posts
  • LocationSuwanee

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

Has anyone heard an explanation on the straight Red on Carmona?

He stepped on the Red Bulls player when he went over there. It was stupid of him. It is a straight red, although it wasn't a stomp. 

logo-boards.png

#8 kylay

kylay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

Positives:

-after 15 minutes we battered them for a solid hour until their first goal went in

-our counterattack looks lethal. Red Bulls had no answer to it

-we pass through the midfield really well which is especially surprising given the lack of time the team has had together

-when Villalba, Asad, Martinez, and Almiron all get on the same page and the offense is clicking we will score a LOT of goals

-for about 60 minutes we did not look as frail defensively as I feared we would

Negatives:

-the collapse after the first goal. it was cathartic and it only got worse

-Carmona will have a 3 match ban. I still have not seen any evidence of his alleged stomp on the red bull player

-Pierez looks to have gone off njured and Walkes was absolutely awful in his place. hopefully he heals fast

-Parkurst is our captain and possibly the worst outfield player in the starting XI

-options off the bench looks thin

-blown scoring opportunities

All in all I was pleased with the performance. It sucks to lose, but I thought the team showed a lot of heart even in the face of collapse. It was frustrating to see, but that's what happens with new, young teams. it will get better with time. At the end of the day, it was incredible to watch professional standard soccer live in Atlanta and to know I'll get to go out and watch again in 2 weeks.

#9 DockterScrappy

DockterScrappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:14 AM

He stepped on the Red Bulls player when he went over there. It was stupid of him. It is a straight red, although it wasn't a stomp. 

I finally saw the replay this afternoon...definitely a red card...assinine move from Carmona.

#10 DockterScrappy

DockterScrappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:16 AM

Positives:

-after 15 minutes we battered them for a solid hour until their first goal went in

-our counterattack looks lethal. Red Bulls had no answer to it

-we pass through the midfield really well which is especially surprising given the lack of time the team has had together

-when Villalba, Asad, Martinez, and Almiron all get on the same page and the offense is clicking we will score a LOT of goals

-for about 60 minutes we did not look as frail defensively as I feared we would

Negatives:

-the collapse after the first goal. it was cathartic and it only got worse

-Carmona will have a 3 match ban. I still have not seen any evidence of his alleged stomp on the red bull player

-Pierez looks to have gone off njured and Walkes was absolutely awful in his place. hopefully he heals fast

-Parkurst is our captain and possibly the worst outfield player in the starting XI

-options off the bench looks thin

-blown scoring opportunities

All in all I was pleased with the performance. It sucks to lose, but I thought the team showed a lot of heart even in the face of collapse. It was frustrating to see, but that's what happens with new, young teams. it will get better with time. At the end of the day, it was incredible to watch professional standard soccer live in Atlanta and to know I'll get to go out and watch again in 2 weeks.

Speaking of Pirez, who looked light years better than he showed in the preseason, what is his status after the injury?

#11 augoat

augoat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationBuckhead

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

I thought the event as a whole was good.  Still some bugs to work out, in my opinion.  Getting into the game went quickly despite very long lines (if you jump lines, you're a jackleg by the way).  The concessions lines looked to be a huge disaster (we ate/drank at the tailgate so no need this go round).  Getting out of the game from the upper deck was a bit of a disaster.  My only other real complaint was the lack of portable toilets or other restroom access while tailgating.  It sounded like there was a mix up on delivery of toilets to serve Area 1 parking. 

I thought the fan atmosphere was fantastic.  The first goal, and ensuing fan celebration was worth the wait.  Beautiful goal and years/months/days of waiting uncorked in the stands.  I thought we played pretty well through the middle part of the game.  The start was jittery.  The end, we seemed to get tired, and lost our cool after the first goal allowed.  It was a kind of predictable game in terms of how it ended, if you watched the pre-season.  I do not think we are quite at full fitness across the board, and NYRB was in better shape.  I would've liked to see our subs come on earlier.  Especially Kenwyne Jones.  He has a real physical presence about him.  Might have been useful, especially on those late set pieces we faced.  My last negative is the Carmona red.  You just cannot do that. 

I think there were a lot of positives to build on though.  I love the speed, and I really was impressed by Garza this game.  The other big names played well, but he just caught my eye for some reason.  I also liked the fire and effort by Martinez, especially late in the game.  Should be a fun and entertaining season.  We aren't close to what our ceiling could be.  We definitely need more time together.  Even still, I think we can cause problems for much of the league.  Bring on Minnesota!

• Gr8Force likes this

#12 DockterScrappy

DockterScrappy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

I thought the event as a whole was good.  Still some bugs to work out, in my opinion.  Getting into the game went quickly despite very long lines (if you jump lines, you're a jackleg by the way).  The concessions lines looked to be a huge disaster (we ate/drank at the tailgate so no need this go round).  Getting out of the game from the upper deck was a bit of a disaster.  My only other real complaint was the lack of portable toilets or other restroom access while tailgating.  It sounded like there was a mix up on delivery of toilets to serve Area 1 parking. 

I thought the fan atmosphere was fantastic.  The first goal, and ensuing fan celebration was worth the wait.  Beautiful goal and years/months/days of waiting uncorked in the stands.  I thought we played pretty well through the middle part of the game.  The start was jittery.  The end, we seemed to get tired, and lost our cool after the first goal allowed.  It was a kind of predictable game in terms of how it ended, if you watched the pre-season.  I do not think we are quite at full fitness across the board, and NYRB was in better shape.  I would've liked to see our subs come on earlier.  Especially Kenwyne Jones.  He has a real physical presence about him.  Might have been useful, especially on those late set pieces we faced.  My last negative is the Carmona red.  You just cannot do that. 

I think there were a lot of positives to build on though.  I love the speed, and I really was impressed by Garza this game.  The other big names played well, but he just caught my eye for some reason.  I also liked the fire and effort by Martinez, especially late in the game.  Should be a fun and entertaining season.  We aren't close to what our ceiling could be.  We definitely need more time together.  Even still, I think we can cause problems for much of the league.  Bring on Minnesota!

Completely agree with the comment about Garza; he looks like a man on a mission.  I was very impressed with his performance Sunday night.  Martinez is a spark plug.  I, too, was shocked at the timing of the substitution of Kenwyne.  I would've liked to have seen that about 15 minutes earlier when our dead legs started to show.

This teams looks like it could win a handful of games, but I'm trying to keep my expectations tempered as we still are an expansion team and there are going to be frustrating growing pains.  That being said, and I hope this doesn't blow up in my face this weekend, I like our expansion product much more than what Minnesota looks to have.  We shall see...weather issues this weekend????

• augoat likes this

#13 kylay

kylay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

I agree the Jones' substitution came too late, and most of them to be fair. I say that in hindsight though. NY's first goal was completely against the run of play. We looked the more likely to get a second, so I can sympathize with not wanting to change right then.  They were taking chances, and we were getting a fair share of counterattacks. The other issue is that no one besides Jones really improved us, and even then Jones only due to being a target man. I think Larentowicz (sp?) was in line to be subbed following the first goal, but Pierez was injured a minute or two after that goal  which forced us to adjust formation temporarily, and then we had a double change with Walkes and Larentowicz. The physio signaled multiple times for a sub on that injury, so I don't know why it wasn't done immediately. Nonetheless, we conceded a minute after the double change. At that point, it was already the 82nd minute. 3 minutes later Jones was on, 3 minutes later Carmona was ejected. That's as chaotic a 12 minutes as you're going to get, and it would have been less so had the subs come sooner. 

• CoachJD likes this

#14 kylay

kylay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 02:59 AM

Very astute article from the best soccer writer in the country, imo:

http://www.fourfourt...&utm_m_medium=t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users