9 replies to this topic

#1 Unitedman

Unitedman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

Great atmosphere yesterday and, as to be expected, I see a lot of great press coverage both locally and nationally.

One negative is that virtually every outlet I have seen has commented on the moronic "p@t!" chant that, traditionally, has been used in the Mexican league and during Mexican national games whenever the opposing goalie does a goal kick.

This needs to stop, immediately, for several reasons.  First, it's offensive and not "offensive" in simply making fun of an opposing team or needling an opponent.  We can argue for hours about what that word "actually means," but there has been sufficient discussion on the topic that we all know it's offensive and akin to stating a homophobic slur.  Second, and in full disclosure, it was so loud I could not really identify where the chant was coming from but, from what I could hear, it sounded like it was coming from the supporter's section.  This is surprising since, beyond the team's code of conduct, I think every single supporter's group has their own code of conduct that prohibits this behavior.  Third, the chant is wholly unoriginal and has nothing to do with Atlanta whatsoever.  There is no "tradition" to argue in an attempt to excuse the use of that word (not that tradition would be a legitimate excuse anyway). 

One game is enough to realize that this is a problem that needs to be addressed and will only continue to take away from what was one of the most amazing spectator scenes I have ever been a part of.  I don't necessarily support singling out fans so they are kicked out of the game, but any member of a supporter's group who engaged in this foolishness should be removed from the privilege of that association.  The supporter's group have to take the lead here.  When the casual fan realizes that this activity is not something that is sanctioned, it will hopefully start a chain reaction in removing this stupidity from future matches.

To end on a more positive note - 99% of the fans were absolutely amazing last night and I could not have been more proud of where this team and where this team is going.  Kudos to all around and I can't wait for the next game

• AndreDug, Kiarathono, fedortvoro and 2 others like this

#2 CoachJD

CoachJD

• Moderators
  • 513 posts
  • LocationSuwanee

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

Would have to be a word of mouth thing to get it to stop. Most of those doing it are probably not checking these boards or the Reddit. It is possible they are, but I don't know how possible. 

It was also a minority of fans, which means word of mouth might work. 

From what I know, it wasn't any of the main supporter groups' members, but a group near there. 

• CAllen91 likes this

logo-boards.png

#3 CAllen91

CAllen91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationValdosta

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Its the group of Argentines and Latinos. I tailgated with them (And some Redbull supporters, COP lot is seriously the best) and they're a bunch of good people. It's just part of their culture and I really don't think you'll have any luck getting them to stop unless we put Rick Flair going "WOOOOO" on the videoboard during kicks. 

• AtlPA likes this

#4 Unitedman

Unitedman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

They may be "good" people, but what they are doing is against the team's fan code of conduct.  

Moreover, the team was forced to come out with a statement (given all the bad press) indicating that any future chants like this will subject fans to removal:  "We strive to foster a positive, enthusiastic and inclusive environment for all fans, and inappropriate chants have no place at our matches.  Atlanta United does not support or condone the use of offensive language.  Fans found to be participating in this behavior will be subject to removal from the building."

So I guess they will have to make a choice - I suppose they can always continue their offensive chant (which has now been condemned by the team and every single supporter's group) at home.

• speedmaver99 likes this

#5 DaGreatPhilberto

DaGreatPhilberto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

I was dead center of the supporters section and there were a couple of guys chanting it, the Resurgens chant leader immediately put the kibosh on it the first time we heard it. Most of the chants were from the corners and it was only a couple of douchnozzles anyway. Story is being blown way out of proportion and as a person who is half Latin and raised in South America it is most def not being used as a "homophobic" slur. Again, this is being blown way out of proportion for the sake of trying to make news.

#6 Unitedman

Unitedman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

I am not getting into the argument of how a culture perceives the chant, i.e., whether it's "truly" offensive/homophobic.  Your explanation is no different then someone raised in the South wanting to bring in the Confederate flag into the stadium because it's "about heritage, not hate."

The bottom line is that the team and the supporter's groups have clearly come out against the chant and have indicated further use of it will not be tolerated. It may have been blown out of proportion, but that's the very issue - it has become a national news story and needed to be addressed.  I am confident it won't last much longer - the supporter's groups and the team have been very strong in condemning the chant.  A warning has been sent and now it's up to the fans to comply.  If they won't, they're not fans of Atlanta United and are more concerned with being able to say the chant as opposed to supporting the team.  I personally wouldn't risk not being able to see the team I support because of a stupid chant.

• DaGreatPhilberto likes this

#7 CoachJD

CoachJD

• Moderators
  • 513 posts
  • LocationSuwanee

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

A warning has been sent and now it's up to the fans to comply.  If they won't, they're not fans of Atlanta United and are more concerned with being able to say the chant as opposed to supporting the team.  

Now honestly, this is a ridiculous statement. 

1) You don't even know if those fans will get that memo.

2) It is a part of a culture that most Americans just don't understand. 

3) You don't know those fans to make such a judgement. 

While the team/mls may be against it, it will mostly be up to the fans to discourage it, or the stadium staff who catches those fans in the act. A "memo" about the chant probably isn't going to do anything. 

• augoat, AtlPA and DaGreatPhilberto like this

logo-boards.png

#8 DaGreatPhilberto

DaGreatPhilberto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:33 PM

I wasn't trying to say that it is ok either, don't misconstrue that from my previous statement Unitedman. I think it is personally stupid but whenever it was heard around me it was shot down pretty quickly, kick a couple of these people out of the game to make an example and it will stop REAL quick.

• speedmaver99 likes this

#9 speedmaver99

speedmaver99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMcDonough, Ga

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:39 PM

Its the group of Argentines and Latinos.

I am a Season tix holder, am of mexican descent.  I was in section 131, and brought my wife and two boys with me to the game, ages 11 and 9 so I definitely do not support the chant. I was the only spanish speaking fan within a group of at least 40-50 fans, and the folks starting the chant were Caucasian, and not Argentine or Latinos as you suggest ( father and son ) and the father actually got up and was getting everyone excited to start the chant. It is unfortunately a way of putting pressure on the opposing team, and I myself do not condone such behavior. When I asked the father if he knew what it meant, he nodded but didn't seem to care that the chant is homophobic or perceived as such. I think that it has been adopted very widely, but it was absolutely not necessarily started by Argentines or Latinos as you suggest, but rather in general. I too hope that all fans in general refrain from such behavior, as the team as a whole may seem affected in the future. Loved the fan support for the team, and hope that it can only get better from here. #HailUnited.

• Tom and Gr8Force like this

#10 Captain10

Captain10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

[Please... I beg our fans NOT to] ... continue the obscene and low class chant of "PUT0" every time the opposing goalkeeper takes a goal kick.

There should be no place for that in our stadium.   :mellow:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users